MASTER CLOCK DISTRIPALYZER
DCD-8 Master Clock Distripalyzer
*** DISCONTINUED ***
A most versatile solution for all your clocking needs
- Ultra Low Jitter Word Clock Generator
- Extracts a clean Word Clock from Audio (AES, S/PDIF, ADAT) or Video (Incl. HD)
- Generates multiple rates simultaneously
- Word Clock Distributor
- World Clock Analyzer
- Audio Router/ Format converter (FireWire included)
- Audio Reclocker
- Video Sync Generator (optional) VSG-4
With the proliferation of digital equipment, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep everything synchronized and locked. Carrying on in the tradition of the Brainstorm Distripalyzer, the DCD-8, with 10 inputs and 17 outputs, is the perfect solution! Offering not only exceptional stability but also remarkable flexibility, the DCD-8 is ideal for most situations, whether you have a small sound studio or a large post-production facility with NTSC, PAL or HD systems. Clock generating, distributing, clean up, analyzing, format converting, it does it all for a very affordable price.
Inputs available are WC, GPS, AES, S/PDIF ADAT and video. Any of those external sources can be used as a reference. Or set the DCD-8 to “internal” and use it as a master clock generator. FireWire is also included, which some manufacturers only offer as a costly option. So, if you need to reference your Mac or PC to the DCD-8 via FireWire, you’re ready to go.
The DCD-8 will feel right at home in a video studio. The base model accepts NTSC, PAL, and even HD tri-level sync. And the optional video generator VSG-4 can generate many different formats of HD tri-level sync, as well as NTSC and PAL.
For Gearboxing, the DCD-8’s exceptional flexibility enables you to generate any rate from any source. The DCD-8 can also generate multiple rates simultaneously: 3 digital audio rates (up to 192K) and 4 video sync rates (2 SD and 2 HD). All locked to the same reference.
Analyzer and audio format converter
While all this is going on, the DCD-8 analyzer keeps you confident everything is running smoothly and helps you identify problems when necessary (phase, termination,frequency). As a bonus, the DCD-8 even does format conversion between the different audio I/O’s.IEEE 1588 network sync.
- Extremely Low-Jitter Clock with all standard rates, up to 192K
- Reference: External WC, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, ADAT, Video or Internal crystal
- Video reference to NTSC, PAL or HD Tri-level sync
- Two separate generators capable of generating two rates simultaneously, assigned to any of 8 wc outputs
- Outputs 7 & 8 feature a frequency multiplier: x2, x4, x64, x128, x256 for Pro Tools super clock and DSD
- Supports simultaneously .1% and 4% pull up/down rates
- VSO (+/- 200 cents) is available
- 3 WC inputs / 8 WC outputs
- Distributed clock is internally regenerated
- Silent audio sent to all audio outputs
- High resolution input frequency counter
- Phase comparison between different sources
- Termination errors
AUDIO ROUTER / FORMAT CONVERTER
- Audio I/O’s include AES/EBU, S/PDIF, ADAT, FireWire
- Any audio input can be routed to any audio output
- Audio outputs are reclocked, thus improving the sound of your digital source
- When locked to an external signal, in the event of a drop out or a source failure, the DCD-8 will switch automatically to an alternate source; if no alternate source has been selected, the DCD-8 will switch to its internal crystal
- Multiple DCD-8’s can be linked together via cable, while maintaining phase
VIDEO GENERATOR (optional) VSG-4
- This optional card provides 4 video outputs, 2 in standard definition and 2 in high definition
- PAL and NTSC sync can be generated simultaneously and sent to each of the 2 SD outputs
- Many HDTV tri-level sync formats are supported and any 2 can be sent simultaneously to each of the 2 HD outputs
The video generator can be locked to the internal crystal or to any of the external references: WC, Audio or Video
|Inputs:||3x Word Clock BNC (2 on rear + 1 on front panel) – 32KHz to 192KHz
3x AES-EBU (2 XLR on rear + 1 BNC on front panel) – 32KHz to 192KHz
1x S/PDIF on RCA- 44.1KHz to 192KHz
S/PDIF 44.1KHz to 192KHz
ADAT (SMUX) 44.1KHz to 192KHz
1x FireWire 44.1KHz to 192KHz
1x Video: NTSC / PAL or HD Tri-Level Sync
|Outputs:||8x Word Clock BNC –
1x S/PDIF on RCA
|Optional Video Outputs:||2x SD: NTSC and PAL
2x HD: 720 (SMPTE 296M) & 1080 (SMPTE 274M, RP211, 295M)
|WC Generator:||Includes 2 separate generators, A&B
Each generator can generate a separate rate from 32KHz to 192KHz
Pull up/down: .1% and 4%
VSO (+/- 200 cents)
|Analyzer:||Input frequency counter
|Power:||External, switching power supply
Input voltage: 90 VAC – 264VAC
Input frequency: 47 Hz – 63 Hz
Output: +12VDC, 2A
|Dimensions:||19” x 8” x 1.75”|
Manual & Data Sheet
Engineering Notes / Modifications
Can the DCD-8 generate several WC frequencies simultaneously?
Yes. The DCD-8 includes two separate generators, A & B, capable of generating two different rates simultaneously (for ex. 44.1 & 48) locked to the same reference. A or B can be assigned to any output. In addition, outputs 7 & 8 feature a frequency multiplier: x2, x4, x64, x128, x256.
How can I see which frequency is sent to which output?
The DCD-8 front panel includes lots of indicators. The LCD display clearly indicates the A and the B frequencies; to the right of the LCD are LED’s indicating which of the 2 frequencies are assigned to each output. So there is no need to go through menus. It is always clearly visible on the front pane.
If I am distributing WC through the DCD-8, what happens if my WC source fails?
The DCD-8 can be programmed to switch automatically to an alternate source. If the alternate source was also to fail, or if no alternate source was set, the DCD-8 would switch automatically to internal crystal.